CONFERENCES & SEMINARS
Social Enterprise Conference:
ENGAGING CUSTOMERS AND CLIENTS IN SOCIAL CHANGE
Friday, October 4, 2013
7:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Location: Lerner Hall, Columbia University
Society will never change unless we collectively want it to. Social entrepreneurs may have great visions for transforming the world, but little can be accomplished without energizing and motivating those on the receiving end of change efforts: the clients and customers of social enterprises. While lessons can be learned from marketers and social media practitioners, there are unique challenges in adapting these ideas to solving social and environmental problems. Organizations ranging from multinational corporations to social venture startups need to grapple with questions such as:
- What is the best way to compel customers to consider the social footprints of their purchases and leverage the power of the individual for social good?
- How can grassroots ideas and engagement translate into action to create a movement?
- How do you create demand for and deliver socially useful products and services that benefit underserved communities and the environment?
By uniting industry experts, thought leaders and practitioners, the 2013 Social Enterprise Conference will delve deeper into the ways leaders and managers can use innovative strategies to maximize social change.
Registration and pricing:
$ 125.00 Professional
$ 100.00 Columbia Business School Alumni/Exec Ed. Participants/Faculty & Staff
$ 80.00 Students (CBS Non-Club Members & Other Universities) ** ID's will be checked at the door **
$ 60.00 Columbia Business School SEC/IDC/GBC ** ID's will be checked at the door **
$ 40.00 Reception Only
After October 1, only walk-ins will be accepted; prices will increase by $25 at the door.
This year, the majority of the breakout sessions at the Social Enterprise Conference have been redesigned to ensure that YOU get to actively engage with our session speakers and topics. Through interactive workshops, case studies, discussions, film screenings, and networking opportunities, you will be integral to the development of solutions and strategies for engaging others in the creation of social change. A sampling for these opportunities are:
- Driving Adoption of Green Energy featuring MPOWERD and Prof. Bruce Usher
- The Secret to Viral Campaigns with Grant Garrison (GOOD/Corps) and Jimmy Soni (Huffington Post)
- Designing for Two Billion with BlocPower, CityHealthWorks, KickStart International, Peer Insight, and Sustainable Health Enterprises (SHE)
- Impact Investing in Action: Where Would You Put Your Money? Insights from Acumen
- See the makers of The Devil Came on Horseback, The Lottery and Rafea: Solar Mama discuss why and how their films made an impact
- Development: For Communities, By Stakeholders featuring Forest City Ratner, Goldman Sachs, Lachman Associates, the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development, and Phipps Houses
- Social Enterprise Program Founder Prof. Ray Horton leads "Be the Change: Grassroots Movements Mobilize," a discussion of how grassroot efforts provided crucial support during Hurricane Sandy.
NEW TO THE CONFERENCE THIS YEAR:
Spark Workshop Track added!
The Conference is pleased to add a dedicated track for Spark Workshops. The three problem-solving sessions will focus on crowdfunding for social innovation, as well as scaling and crowdfunding for frontier innovations.
Film Screening added!
The Conference has also added a screening of WHAM! BAM! ISLAM! -- see the film and then hear the closing keynote with filmmaker Issac Solotaroff and Dr. Naif Al-Mutawa '03, Founder & CEO of Teshkeel Media Group; creator of THE 99.
The annual Social Enterprise Conference at Columbia Business School brings together thought leaders from across private, nonprofit, public, and academic sectors to share best practices, debate critical issues, and collaborate on innovative concepts to inspire change. Through interactive sessions, keynote speakers, workshops, a pitch competition, and networking opportunities, the conference presents guests with the opportunity to partake in the most important business and societal conversation of this new era.